Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Question to Ask Conservatives

"Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away?" -Ripley in Aliens

She was pointing out that she'd never said the creature was from that planet when asking the quoted question of the company and government goons, but this is the sort of question that I would like to ask of most conservative commentators. Why? Because they never seem to 'get it'. Take for instance the recent 'gay controversy' over a Heinz commercial in Britain. Check it out on YouTube if you want to see what they're blathering about. My first comment is, "This is a gay commercial??" Seems pretty obvious to me that the joke, the premise, of this commercial is that it makes an average British housewife seem like a stereotypical NYC deli man. Don't you people get it? This is about as gay as another commercial I remember when some girl from Brooklyn started talking in a French accent because she ate some potato chip. IT'S A JOKE!

I particularly love how one of the conservative bloviators, AH Dowden on Blogcritics, used this whole thing as a jumping off point to change the subject on his own commentary about attacks on James Dobson. Not only is he wrong about what the commercial is about (I suspect he never watched what he's commenting on, surprise, surprise), but he's also trying to pull a logical fast one. Saying that Wayne Besen's commentary on Dobson is invalid because this other unrelated thing is 'fraudulent'. Ha!

I'd be willing to bet that most people would get this commercial if they saw it. They might laugh or ignore it, but they wouldn't start screaming, "OH my lord! Think of the Children! I don't want to have to explain the gay to my CHILDREN!" I used to be a conservative and I'm positive even I, a self hating homosexual who looked suspiciously at everything for possible gay content, would have shrugged my shoulders and wondered why everyone was so upset. So conservatives, did IQs just suddenly drop while I was away from the movement? Or did I just not see how stupid you all are while I was one of you? Or maybe you're just saying anything to try to score a point no matter how far fetched? Intellectual mad libs trying to fill in the outrage of the day with anything that might fit if you cross your eyes and squint at it.

(Oh and in case anyone is wondering I used the "nofollow" attribute in the link to Dowden so search engines won't think that I think that opinion should be promoted.)

No comments: